Friday, October 6, 2023

[electricboats] Outboard Sizing Help Needed

I am back with more questions for the group.
As you may recall I did this build, https://groups.io/g/electricboats/message/31909 with your help and wanted to let you know that this system is still working great. 

Now for the electric outboard idea/question.
The boat is used for fishing on the Potomac River utilizing the 1997 150 HP 2 stroke (that left me stranded the other day for the first time) and it is also used in some electric-only lakes utilizing the 36-volt trolling motor (thread above). Being stranded the other day was not a great feeling and I was too far away from the marina to get home with the trolling motor and battery setup I have. This got me thinking... an electric outboard could serve as an emergency kicker motor and allow me to venture further into the electric-only lakes. 

Distance: on Google Maps I plotted out a distance from my furthest fishing point back to the marina I frequent. I ended up with approx 8 miles, let's round that up to 10 miles. 
Speed: my 36-volt trolling motor pulls me along at an average speed of 3.5 MPH according to my GPS...  If I could get 6 MPH that would be great but distance is more important than speed for a self-rescue. 
Boat specs: Hull Material: Fiberglass, Beam: 7'7", Length: 20', Net Weight: 2250 lbs.

I think a 48-volt setup would be better than 36 volt but I am open to all suggestions. If I go 48 volts then eventually I could replace my trolling motor with a 48-volt setup and have maybe 30 or 40 extra Ah of capacity in an emergency. 
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32421) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment