Saturday, October 21, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Electric motor size for 48' cat

Hi Eric,

I have a 47' sailing cat that weighs just a little less than yours that I am currently converting to EP. I can tell you I went with dual 13k (nominal) pod motors. It is powered by a 48v battery, which I prefer over higher voltages. I have yet to get the boat back in the water so I hardly have any practical feedback, but I know your boat and it's similar to my own. These motors are similar to the thunderstruck, in that, if I want, I can later up the system voltage to increase available power.

If you would like to stay in touch and hear more about how the system performs when I get the boat in; send me an email. 

Jack

On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 10:17 AM Eric via groups.io <sailawayvlog=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hey Dan and Randy,

Thanks so much and very nice to meet you.  That's very helpful and definitely gives me a place to start.  Dan I'll definitely go take a look at your FB page.  I had noticed that the motors are the same, just battery config and programming to step up to 72 or 96v which at least leaves some flexibility.  Again, just from a very general standpoint, for a sailing cat our size (around 26,000 to 28,000 lbs) and purpose, it sounds like the 48v x2-12Kw setup would likely be just fine.  Our Volvo MD-22's are 50hp, but even when both were running their power output wasn't strong and it was just fine for this boat.  I always figured a pair of good running 40hp Yanmars would be better.  Our hull speed is theoretically somewhere around 9 knots, but I have no need to ever see that with the motors.  If we can max out at 6-7 when needed and cruise at 3-5 that would be perfect.  The 12Kw kits have an option for the water cooled pieces and parts, which I assumed I'd do, plus a blower setup in the compartment.  I love the idea of merging these batteries with some new ones, but with them being close to 9 months old now, I'd be concerned about trying to do that.  We likely will just put together a decent bank for the motor(s), about 400 amp hours at 48V to run eventually 2 motors and stick with the hearty house bank using DC-DC to charge the house, plus direct charging ability from the genny if needed.

Okay, I'm getting excited!  It's looking more and more like Davy Jones might receive an offering of an old seized up MD-22 sometime soon. ;-). Now I just need to slow my roll slightly and curb my obsession since I won't be in a position to really dig into this until maybe January.  But I'm sure I'll come up with lots more questions up til then.

Eric Dove

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32466) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment