Monday, May 2, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Thoughts on 12 volt Lifepo4 batteries

Are you saying you plan to buy 12 LiFePo4 batteries?  That's about $10,000 for 14.4kWhr (3P4S for 48V or 4P3S for 36V).   I built a 13.4kWhr battery from prismatic cells last year.  I spent about $2,500 including BMS plus the time to build.  I would probably have gone with a new diesel if I had not been able to do the battery at this price point.  The cost for the commercially available LiFePo4 batteries would have put my project over-budget. 

I have some details on my battery here:
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_drive_battery.htm



Dan Pfeiffer


On 2022-04-29 3:28 pm, Skray775 wrote:

Hello, 

I have a 20 foot bass boat that is mainly used on lakes that restrict the use of my 150hp gas motor.  

The electric motor is a 36 volt trolling motor. I would like to have mor reserve run time than my current setup and was looking the 12 volt LifEPo4 batteries that are sized as replacements for AGM or Flood Acid type deep cycles.  Most are 100 amp hour and that should be fine.

Does the group have any suggestions as to a good battery brand and/or would it be better to build a separate set of cells instead of purchasing 12 prebuilt ones?

My current batteries are Optima group27 blue top. Replacement are in the $330 range and from my research they are now manufactured in a different location and will not last 6 or 7 years like my current ones have.

I am familiar with Lifepo4 as I have constructed 12s2p 2400mah packs for some R/C helicopters. Torn out of old Dewalt packs, A123 cells.  I know they are smaller but the concept seems similar.

Thank you for the help


No comments:

Post a Comment