Sunday, May 15, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Replacing FLA Batteries with Lithium in Duffy Electric Boat

Thanks for these details, Roland!

My Duffy is a 2010 M160, which was only produced by Duffy for two years.  It's sort of a pontoon or deck boat with an unusual hull in the shape of an "M".  Like yours, my 48V 5hp Duffy motor also pulls just under 60A at full throttle, but I generally cruise at a speed that pulls between 30A and 40A.  So, I'm thinking that a 150Ah battery should get me about 3 hours of cruising time with a 20% reserve, which is more than enough cruising time for the inland lake on which I live.  

My current lead acid batteries are installed under seats-----4 under one seat on the starboard side and 4 under another seat on the port side.  With a single 48V 150Ah battery, I'm planning to install it under the seat on the starboard side.  With that single battery, I'll be removing about 200kg from the boat.  The 48V charger is currently installed under the deck where it is very difficult to service, so I'm planning to move the charger to the under the starboard seat, where there is plenty of room.  

I've got the project planned out, so I'm just waiting for the battery I want to come back into stock within a couple of weeks.  In the meantime, my lead acid batteries are holding up okay after 5 years of service, but after an hour and a half cruise, they are below 50% DoD.   So, I don't have too much time left with them.

I had not considered installing 12V LifePO4 batteries in series because I was concerned about how that would work with individual BMS's.  However, based on your experience, I'd consider that if this 48V battery doesn't work out.  

Thanks again for the details, and I'm glad you are keeping that Duffy running!
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31946) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment