Monday, January 3, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Relative Safety of NMC vs LFP Batteries for Propulsion

I'm curious about this too. As near as I can figure out the NMC are probably used for the ebike  applications because they have higher charge and discharge ratings. Shouldn't be a factor for you. I did read an article in Pro Boatbuilder by Nigel Calder within the last year about it. I remember he said LFP is the most stable followed by NMC. I'm pretty intrigued by the 48v server racks that Will Prowse on the YouTube channel DIY solar is testing. He's  also recently tested several 12v plug and play batteries that can be paralleled or seriesed. I have a homebrewed 48v 280ah LFP system on my oceanfront house. I did build a concrete board compartment to put them in, mainly cause they're Chinese. I lined it with thin plastic cutting board material and also between cells. The aluminum cases do corrode. 2 years in mine have not but my neighbor had several cells where the bottom rusted out. He didn't have them resting on plastic. We're guessing the cases have a slight charge on them. 
Jerry Barth



Sent from my Sprint Tablet.


-------- Original message --------
From: Draggett@live.com
Date: 1/3/22 12:32 PM (GMT-04:00)
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: [electricboats] Relative Safety of NMC vs LFP Batteries for Propulsion

I've been following discussions in this group, with great interest, for a couple of years. I'm now ready to order my batteries for a 48v 10kw motor. Given the space and weight-carrying restrictions of an older 30ft, 9000lb sailboat, LFP and NMC are the preferred chemistry. However I can find no real data concerning the relative risks of these two chemistries in the marine environment. Should NMC even be a consideration? Any experience out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment