Monday, January 31, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Electric retrofit for 57' Chris Craft Constellation

Hi Dennis

I have the same thoughts - have a Broom Crown motorboat, 37 feet, 12 ton, 2xPerkins 185 HP. Use it mainly on canals, so a normal speed would be 5 knots for up to 8 hours

Got some calculations/estimations made, which says 4,5 knot/4kw, doubling every 1 knot

8 hours sailing would then require 30-35 kw batteries (plan 2 banks of 20-24 kw each)

Plan to have a 10 Kw genset installed for charging away from shore power. Solarpanels also.

Currently I have a 18 kw/72v ME1616 water-cooled motor hooked up to one of the gearbox output flanges, driving a toothbelt-pulley (1:4 ratio) - next week it should be possible to measure power-consumption versus axel-rotation to get an estimate of the consumption and doability of this.

Unsure if the ratio is too low, maybe its better with 1:6-7 - but the PoC will hopefully tell me more

Will keep you posted about progress.

Motor: ME1616 18Kw/72V motor
Controller: SEVCON4
7,2 KW Lifepo4 battery


/Lars


mandag den 31. januar 2022 skrev Dennis Cohen <dac@theconcordance.com>:
I am, hopefully, in the process of removing my two 8v71 Detroit Diesels (which each weigh about 4,000 pounds) and replacing them with electric motors, batteries, and a generator.
She weighs in at 32 tons.  I keep her in or close to the marina, so my desired range is probably 10-15 miles max, at a speed of 8-10 knots.
I have shore power and the capability of using either one or two 100 sq.ft spaces for solar arrays.

I have looked at several systems,  and I realize it's a big project.  I'm looking for whatever suggestions I can get on engine size, voltage, genset requirements, prop size and pitch, etc. 
Also am aware of having to add ballast to account for the large amount of weight I will be removing from the hull line.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31826) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment