Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Re: [electricboats] High power

Not crazy at all. Electric motors are small and light enough to make this possible. One day boat manufacturers will get there heads out of their butts and this is exactly how boats will be designed.  

Redundancy, more potential regen, and excellent maneuverability.   

I also believe there is a potential in pod/turbine thrusters but we are not there yet. 

Now when it comes to your boat. I don't know if its worth it to retro fit a Catalina 30 with twin props. Catalinas and many newer 30' boats are pretty easy to maneuver.  Electric motor with a good prop, will be a marked improvement alone. 

Matt Foley 
Sunlight Conversions
Perpetual Energy, LLC
201-914-0466



On Tuesday, January 4, 2022, 09:00:46 AM EST, Luke Johnson <jukelohnson@gmail.com> wrote:


Hi all,
I'm very new here and very excited to have found such a great resource.
I'm a pretty new owner of a '79 Catalina 30.  I've been researching going electric for a year or so.  I've recently come up with a crazy idea that I would love to have someone shoot down so that it stops keeping me awake at night :)
Please tell me all the reasons it would be foolish to replace a normal motor with 2 (or 3 or 4) thrusters such as this: 


Please note that the specific motor is not the focus of this question - thats just an example of a high power submersible motor that I have in mind.

My thoughts are benefits would be:
Redundancy
Economy
Possibly more efficient given 2, 3 or 4 props vs 1?
Installing by epoxying to the hull, installation wouldn't be that difficult?
Improved maneuverability in tight places
No prop walk
Improved regen?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment