Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Electric Drive Update

I don't know what an acceptable runout would be but I would minimize it any way I could.  If you can add a bearing that sounds like a good idea.  Those bearings (like I used for the pilot bearing) are available in SS.  Either just SS for the bearing unit or SS for the bearing unit and the mounting block.  Thy are from food industry applications.   

Look at these mounts.  Note the way the bearings are mounted. 
https://www.kit-elec-shop.com/gb/engine-mounts/4790-transmission-bracket-for-boat-v9-50-b-222mm-50mm-shaft.html


I think that chain coupler on the Thunderstruck kit might also be a vibration issue at high RPM?  I have never seen one running in person.





Dan Pfeiffer


On 2022-01-12 12:15 pm, jesper.malmberg86@gmail.com wrote:

Another question,

I see that you managed to get the runout down to 0.001" on the shaft from the motor. I have the thunderstruck reducer and it's not as sturdy looking as what you have manufactured and it sits at about 0.005" runout. I'm getting some vibration at higher RPMs but I'm pretty sure it's from the propeller which will be replaced next haulout. Would you say this runout is acceptable though? I was considering adding a pillow block style bearing in order to stabilize the shaft a bit.

Regards,

Jesper

No comments:

Post a Comment