Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Re: [electricboats] High power

Luke,  Just a comment.  As we all know, it's a LOT about the prop.  In my experimentation I've found that the Torquedo props seem to be highly engineered.  One of the most efficient setups I ever did was with 24 v. MotorGuides and Torq. props.  You have to re-engineer the hub for use but that's not a bigdeal.  I'll attach a photo.
Glenn

Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2021 10:20 PM
Subject: [electricboats] High power

Hi all,
I'm very new here and very excited to have found such a great resource.
I'm a pretty new owner of a '79 Catalina 30.  I've been researching going electric for a year or so.  I've recently come up with a crazy idea that I would love to have someone shoot down so that it stops keeping me awake at night :)
Please tell me all the reasons it would be foolish to replace a normal motor with 2 (or 3 or 4) thrusters such as this: 


Please note that the specific motor is not the focus of this question - thats just an example of a high power submersible motor that I have in mind.

My thoughts are benefits would be:
Redundancy
Economy
Possibly more efficient given 2, 3 or 4 props vs 1?
Installing by epoxying to the hull, installation wouldn't be that difficult?
Improved maneuverability in tight places
No prop walk
Improved regen?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment