Sunday, November 1, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Quest for 2X Hull Speed

Anyone know if there are DIY kits (or something that can be adapted) for electric outboards powered to about 3kW? I may be able to get my hands on a nifty locally produced rim driven thruster unit and controller that could be the basis of a handy OB for my 10ft/3m dinghy tender ... so now I wonder where I could source the 'skeleton frame' - ideally with a bit of a built-in rudder blade like the Torqeedo and ePropulsion OB offerings.

Kai
East Sussex, UK



On 1 Nov 2020, at 18:00, Keith M <kmerranko@gmail.com> wrote:



[Edited Message Follows]

The weather cooperated and I finally tested the Newport Vessels configuration above (OEM config plus Eprop 10.2x6.73 propeller, hub/shaft fairing, and cavitation plate).  I reversed the power leads with the internal voltmeter unplugged.  At full speed, I averaged 6.4 mph at 760 watts.  That is better than hull speed and a very inexpensive setup.  I am not sure if the motor the brushes were in the neutral plane with the motor turning clockwise.  I do not have a good way to measure, let me know if anyone has the expertise to resolve.  Not too bad on the performance, but I hope to exceed that with the Lehr outboard conversion...

Also, the water flow around the motor was really smooth, unlike the OEM shape and the version with just the foam on the trailing edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment