Thursday, November 5, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Prop rotation

Well, YMMV (your mileage may vary) as to personal experiences I guess.  I've heard others' personal experiences with Thunderstruck since 2003 when I converted my outboard to electric then upgraded the motor to an 8HP ETEK brush motor (bought from Thunderstruck).  I went with Thunderstruck after watching their ETEK-powered motorcycle conversions blowing away competition at the drag strip and finding out from Thunderstruck that the 20# ETEK PM brushmotor was a perfect bolt-in replacement for the 60# series-wound Advanced DC brushmotor I had been using.  At that time, Thunderstruck had no targeted marine segment to their inventory---maybe a year or two later they came out with the 'kit' for sailboats.  I don't recall ever hearing anything bad about peoples' experiences with Thunderstruck until now.  Still, things happen, and especially these days with pandemic and other things disrupting a lot.

Tech Support is very important and suppliers need to be sensitive to their customers.  Worse than poor Tech Support is outright theft, misrepresentation and other shenanigans.  Turning the clock back to the early 2000's, we had a couple terrible shysters that used the Yahoo ElectricBoats Groups to sell their goods, took peoples' money and didn't send products, sent Used hardware or totally inappropriate hardware.  In the wake of this, as moderator of the Yahoo group, I put all commercial interests on "moderated" status for all their posts to the group.

 

Apologies for the rant.  I hope Thunderstruck is not slipping.  They are/were good folks. J

 

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

 

From: electricboats@groups.io [mailto:electricboats@groups.io] On Behalf Of Egbert Van popta
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 7:44 AM
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: Re: [electricboats] Prop rotation

 

No it definitely doesn't matter. The way you mount the throttle defines the way the motor turns in forward or reverse. I have a thunderstruck system too, and although I really love the kit, the technical support was very disappointing to say the least.

 

Op do 5 nov. 2020 16:39 schreef Rob Temple <robtemple@embarqmail.com>:

I'm hoping to replace my Volvo diesel (MD 2020) with a 10 KW kit. Since the Volvo requires a left hand prop almost any other diesel would require me to switch to a right hand prop. I called Thunderstruck and the man I spoke with said he didn't "think" it matters with the electric motor but it would be nice to know for sure. Can someone tell me if I'll need to switch props?




No comments:

Post a Comment