Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Efficiency

 

I dont know that CVT technology has matured to the point where this is practical... YET. I would certainly like to see it, though. But I think any sort of variable ratio transmission is much more important in a land vehicle than a boat, because we operate in a fluid medium and not on a fixed surface.

FWIW, Wikipedia points out that belt type CVT is about 88% efficiency, significantly lower than ordinary geared transmissions. I think if you want CVT in order to customize the motor speed and torque for a given amount of work to be done, you might be better off looking into CP or CRP, which is a much more mature technology, though with few existing installations in small boats.

There have been a number of cars and motorcycles manufactured with CVT, and I am sure that a unit could be found that could be installed in an electric boat, at little cost. I just dont think there will be any gain at all over a fixed ratio setup, at the current state of the art.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment