Sunday, March 13, 2016

[Electric Boats] Reply to fitloose, and thanks !!

 

I have several EV power boats. An 18 ft. cabin cruiser, a 14 ft. sail with an inboard Minn Kota, folding 12 ft. pirogue MK with hidden tunnel drive, and my new one under construction a 17 ft racer in the 1920 s rum runner style.  Power will be another motor like my cabin cruiser, just maybe 1000 lbs lighter and full planing hull.  These are all my own design / builds, all work very close to what I was looking for, tested with plenty of power, now just looking at higher tech battery packs to get longer run times.  Once I figured on average hulls doing 5 to 10 knot speeds it has been easier.  My new "café racer" projects higher speeds 12 to 20 ish. due to the design, bottom has to be slick or forget it.  Power to be a Suzuki 6 hp lower unit, with a removed power head,  and set up for a 12 hp Golden motor 48 v. kit.  I ought to look for a bigger lower unit, but I have this one in good shape, if it blows I would go bigger, we'll see.  I'm making a different prop set up, cutting the lower unit as needed to fit
 
Same size motor as I did for the cabin cruiser.  last trip on that ( 1800 lbs est. ) we did hull speed over 5 knots est. at 20 to 25 amps, recharge time equals the run time.  Took a 3 hour run, maybe half battery charge.  We then redid the wiring terminals, dielectric grease etc. for better contact, longer run times.  All the power in the motor needs equally good contact in every connection, fuse block, the whole thing done right.
 
I don't have your original note – I just check this computer for new messages weekly.  Fairly brutal in delete mode on 150 messages.  Pretty much back to building boats, EV in particular requires purpose designed hull power shapes, but I have enough to go boating with now.  At least the gassies are pretty much history, only one '74 Johnny 3 hp twin left.  If you would like a faster number try calboats@gmail.com I do some boat shows in Oregon with the coots boat group, and we have several EV boats of interest. 
 
have a great day,  Cal
 
From: fitloose
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2016 10:35 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Partial Sea Trial, E/V Mr. Wiggles
 
 

Cal,

Seems like a lot of power you are using. Is this a motor boat you have?

John R

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (15)

Save time and get your email on the go with the Yahoo Mail App
Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use, Yahoo Mail app today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment