Monday, February 23, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Lithium battery storage

 

Jason,

Unlike lead-acid, Lithiums DO NOT like to be stored fully charged, especially in hot weather.

Peruse the Net for "Lithium battery storage". Conventional wisdom is to store them at around 40% SoC.

I am not surprised that your voltages are identical, but self-discharge should be negligible unless there's a tiny BMS load.

In your cool storage spot your pack should be ok, but in your shoes I would discharge the pack down to at least 50% SoC for the remainder of the winter.

JoeS.

On Feb 23, 2015, at 05:00 , Jason Taylor jt.yahoo@jtaylor.ca [electricboats] wrote:

> I removed my lithium pack from my boat for the winter. Here's a blog-post I wrote about it:
> http://svfugu.blogspot.ca/2015/02/battery-storage-and-self-discharge.html
>
> Short version:
> 16 cells all read within 0.001V of each other after being disconnected for 4 months. Cell voltage is 3.328V.
> I expect my pack will be around 80% state of charge by launch at end of May, early June.
>
> /Jason

__._,_.___

Posted by: Joe Siudzinski <siudzinski@telis.org>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment