Friday, February 20, 2015

[Electric Boats] Re: 47' Catamaran Project

 

The SocialPath catamaran project is progressing slowly. At present, I am sourcing PMAC motors and controllers for propulsion. The Heinzemann PMS 120 and PMS 150 or a Parker traction motor seem to be what I am looking for. Heinzemann recommends a Sevcon controller and Parker uses a Curtis controller. I am trying hard to install, program, and launch the boat by mid summer.


I am trying to get information from both controller companies as to which model to use.

My motor generator is a Fischer Panda military APU that has electronics and diodes set to recharge a 24VDC battery bank. It puts out 5000w. I got this 400 hour permanent magnet generator for an amazing price of $1,700 including shipping. (thank you ebay seller)  My battery banks are fixed at 24VDC. 

While researching the Curtis controller website, they stated that their PMAC controller can use a 24 VDC nominal input voltage and spit out up to 50 VDC to the motor. This is excellent! The minimum input motor voltage at the power needed for my boat is at least 48 VDC. If the controllers really do this bump up, then the voltage challenge is solved. The price of all this may change my mind. smile.

When I get the motors and controllers all figured out I will post the info.

Warning to about a project of this size. I figured it would take me 36 months to build the hulls and figure everything out. This is the tenth season of building and I am not even thinking about the mast and sails this year. Good thing that you have bought plans. Hope you are under 35 years of age. I am 50 now. My lower discs are compressed, a few kinks in few of the uppers, shoulder needs tweeked again, and wife is not too happy with the project. And yes, I would do most of if again. smile

__._,_.___

Posted by: cordestim@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment