Friday, February 20, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] 47' Catamaran Project

 

Gunboat is now using the Oceanvolt electric saildrives on their G4. The Oceanvolt saildrives are very state of the art and high quality - so is the G4. If you haven't looked at Gunboat's site, do so. That boat is crazy fast! 

Sally Reuther


On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 6:46 AM, Steve Dolan sdolan@scannersllc.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

The Tang Electric System was put together by Dave Tether who built and developed the Solomons System I have on my boat. Last I heard Dave was not doing it any more but his site is still up.

 

http://www.electricmarinepropulsion.org/Index.html

 

Don't be afraid of higher voltages (Mine is 144V) on board. This is just like working on an Electric Panel in your house, don't stick your fingers in a place you're not sure of. When working on my pack I break it down to 48V's when I'm doing maintenance. All the High Voltage equipment and connections are in well protected boxes and I know to prepare for going into them.

Jason the Tang wasn't a Gunboat. It was built by TAG YACHTS. It had somewhat of a bad rap on its Electrical system do to many quality control issues with the boat. I talked to Dave Tether extensively about it and he was not happy with the builder. Main problem was the rush job to get it on the show circuit. I have heard of the "dumping power" issue with the 410 though I haven't experienced it yet. It's probably only going  to happen on extended cruising times.

 

Now Gunboat did use the Electric Marine system in their boat "Moonwave"

http://www.moonwave-systems.com/catamaran-hybrid-propulsion/

 

I believe the boat is in charter now which unless a Hybrid was to be a Captained boat by the owner I would never do.

 

Steve in Solomons MD

Lagoon 410 S2E

 

 



A couple of years ago, I had the pleasure of talking with the systems engineer for the  60' Gunboat catamaran, Tang! while it was moored in Fort Pierce, Fla. on their recent Atlantic crossing, they had to dump power they were generating so much. So whichever way you go, make sure that regen power flows are considered. You may just have to order hot showers for the crew, twice a day in order to handle the extra power. 

 

Cheers,

 

/Jason


__._,_.___

Posted by: Sally Reuther <smreuther@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment