Thursday, February 19, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] 47' Catamaran Project

 

Hey Bob,

If you pop out of Puget Sound and hit Victoria BC in your
international cruising, and if you're interested, you could come and
see my Electric Caik / Electric Hubcap motors. I've made some and
have jigs & molds to do more, but they're not well tested. Since the
Electric Caik outboard hardly gets warm at 1KW, I figure it's
probably good for about 4.8KW (24V 200A) - a little 15 pound, 9.25"
OD x 4" motor.
The Electric Hubcap is 30 pounds, probably about 7.2KW (36V 200A) and
I figured about 95% efficiency. (The Caik seemed lower. I'm guessing
it's bearing friction - the needle bearings seem to be utterly
stuffed with grease and are hard to turn.)

Each motor has been an improvement over the previous so far, I
thought they were about there now, but now I'm trying unipolar
magnetization, which will have a simpler, more reliable motor
controller that makes less heat, and which according to some will
give improved performance. (So far my BLDC motor controllers don't
seem as reliable at high power as one might hope. I've bought a Kelly
BLDC controller - and copied a piece of the power layout for the
unipolar controller - but I haven't tried it yet.)

Cheers,
Craig Carmichael
Esquimalt (next to Victoria) BC
http://www.TurquoiseEnergy.com/

__._,_.___

Posted by: Craig Carmichael <craig@saers.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment