Friday, March 8, 2013

RE: [Electric Boats] OT: reducing spam on the group

 

It has been my Xpeerence is that the more popular the OS the more meatballs are attracted to it.

Like a no-brain moth to a flame. However this popularity also attracts for more good guys.

Mega Antivirus protectors (Norton, AVG, McAfee, etc.) have a semi-secret worldwide forum that work together.

When a new threat surfaces they act.

They work very hard to define and counter these threats.

They are the smartest hardworking defenders of their domain, this Internet.

So, be sure, all around us are people burning the midnight oil to counter these meatballs.

It is a war.
When I was in IT and a threat alert came through it was almost thrilling to see the effort and success.

GerryB

 


From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mark F
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:40 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] OT: reducing spam on the group

 

 

I am trying to determine how this Yahoo spam works.
My wife and kids use windows computers with firefox and they were hacked.
I use linux with firefox and I have not been hacked.
Is the hacking coming from our computers or is it a Yahoo issue itself and I'm just lucky?

Mark

 

 


From: Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:52:08 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] OT: reducing spam on the group

 

 

I would suggest that everyone remove any Yahoo group email addresses from your contact lists (it's not like you need to write emails to a Yahoo group, most people can just hit reply to their email notification or post a message inside the Yahoo group itself) so that if your contact list gets hacked, you won't be sending spam to hundreds (maybe thousands) of people's mailboxes with a single group address.

I know this works because my account was hacked about a couple of months ago and my Yahoo contact list was used to send out a few spam blasts. You didn't see any of that here (or on any of the other Yahoo groups that I belong to) because I don't have any of my Yahoo group addresses in my contact list.

Fair winds (with less spam),
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

 

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment