Friday, March 8, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] OT: reducing spam on the group

 

The compromise comes from windows (a malicious link sent via email or social media or even a compromised website that serves up malicious content).
The compromise that resulted in the hacked email accounts was targeting windows computers. So even though you may have visited the same compromised links as your family, only they had the attack succeed. That attack may have involved credential theft of many kinds. There are Trojan horses out there that collect banking info and install keyboard loggers. Some of the more cautious (paranoid?) people I know will only access their online financial site from a separate machine that is never used for regular surfing. 

All this to say, your family should ensure their anti virus software is up to date and clean their systems. Then, also keep close tabs on when & from where their other online services have been accessed. 

The yahoo account compromise may only be a symptom of a greater problem. 

/Jason

On Mar 7, 2013, at 23:40, Mark F <mark.internet@yahoo.ca> wrote:

 

I am trying to determine how this Yahoo spam works.
My wife and kids use windows computers with firefox and they were hacked.
I use linux with firefox and I have not been hacked.
Is the hacking coming from our computers or is it a Yahoo issue itself and I'm just lucky?

Mark



From: Eric <ewdysar@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:52:08 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] OT: reducing spam on the group

 
I would suggest that everyone remove any Yahoo group email addresses from your contact lists (it's not like you need to write emails to a Yahoo group, most people can just hit reply to their email notification or post a message inside the Yahoo group itself) so that if your contact list gets hacked, you won't be sending spam to hundreds (maybe thousands) of people's mailboxes with a single group address.

I know this works because my account was hacked about a couple of months ago and my Yahoo contact list was used to send out a few spam blasts. You didn't see any of that here (or on any of the other Yahoo groups that I belong to) because I don't have any of my Yahoo group addresses in my contact list.

Fair winds (with less spam),
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment