Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] removing old engine

 

With all the rigging involved (not to mention the possibility of damaging the boom)  I'd use the marina forklift if available.  It's fast, safe and effective with a minimum of preparation.  If you pre-position your truck, they can lift out the engine and load it in your truck in one pass.

Willie

--- On Mon, 10/18/10, Hans Kloepfer <hanskloepfer@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Hans Kloepfer <hanskloepfer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] removing old engine
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, October 18, 2010, 11:23 PM

 

I was able to remove the atomic four engine from my boat myself with hardware already on my boat. I used the block and tackle from the mainsheet on the boom, and used the boom as a davit. My boat is a pearson vanguard which has the mainsheet in the back of the boom. I moved it to the location on the boom which was directly above the engine. I made fast every available halyard plus the topping lift to the boom to support the weight of the engine. It was quite difficult to lift it even with a six to one purchase, but I was able to lift the engine up through the companionway and swing the boom out over to the dock and lower the engine onto the dock without putting to many dings on anything.

I am not sure if this would work with the type of boat you have, but I thought it would be a strategy worth mentioning. Good luck.

Fair winds,
Hans K




__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment