Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: removing old engine

 

Joao & Doug:
 
I don't think you need to fabricate anything. I just used two pieces of chain (about 18" I believe)  around each leg of the "front" (or the side facing toward the cabin as my engine had a V drive transmissioon and faced aft). I then raised this side of the engine slightly using the come along mounted over the hatch and used some crowbars to raise and push the other end of the engine into the cabin. When the engine was far enough inside the cabin to acess the lifting points I lowered the front and moved the chains to the lifting points on top of the engine and moved moved the engine fully into the cabin. You can see this in some of the photos toward the end of this post:
Capt. Mike

--- On Wed, 10/20/10, Doug <dj2210@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Doug <dj2210@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: removing old engine
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, October 20, 2010, 3:44 AM

 
JC, I was thinking along the sme lines for my engine removal. Using three 17" pieces of steel chanel welded into a c shape. But it worked out well just using the chain and fork lift.
Doug
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Joao Carlos d'Almeida" <joaocarlosdalmeida@...> wrote:
>
> I haven't removed my engine yet, but I saw a picture of a special pickup
> device used to remove the engine. The crane had a "C" shaped pickup point
> which allowed the lower horizontal leg of the "C" to be moved into the
> engine compartment to the lifting ring on the engine. This allowed the
> lifting hook of the crane to still carry the weight of the engine from it's
> centre point because the "C" permits it to reach into the engine
> compartment. Having access to steel and welder, I will be making up a
> custom "C" lift for myself.
>
> I hope I have explained this concept clearly enough to visualize.
>
> JC d'Almeida, Vancouver BC
>
> On 19 October 2010 04:33, Doug <dj2210@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > I removed an Atomic 4 from my Catalina 27 a few weeks ago. Due to my slip
> > being a floating dock, I had the marina do the actual lift and place it on
> > my trailer. The prep work to have everything ready took me a good 3 hours. I
> > disconnected all the following in no particular order;
> > 1. Electrical including the plug wires and rotor cap
> > 2. Raw Water inlet hose.
> > 3. Exhaust pipe from the engine manifold and plugged the hose leading to
> > the outlet.
> > 4. Removed Fuel lines and carburetor.
> > 5. Prop shaft coupling (hubs).
> > 6. Linkages for throttle, choke and transmission.
> > 7. All engine mount lag bolts but the front two while in transit. These are
> > the bolts holding the mounts to the boat. This way the engine could be slid
> > forward with out having to lift it up over the engine mount studs.
> >
> > When the marina was ready I motored the boat with a trolling motor from the
> > slip to the service dock. The marine used their fork truck with the long
> > forks (removing motor boats from the store racks) and a chain to tension the
> > motor as it was slid forward by one person and out. It took all of 5 minutes
> > to remove the engine once everything was ready. We protected the companion
> > way with some wood clamped on.
> > Hope this helps
> > Doug
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > "doctormike357" <doctormike357@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyone have suggestions on removing (and maybe selling??) an old diesel
> > engine before replacing with an electric?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mike
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment