Saturday, October 9, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Power supply to run motor

 

David,

I've always thought DC generators made more sense than AC, assuming one wasn't running air conditioning or electric cooking appliances. In my case though there are two big things that make the little Honda suitcase generator more attractive than a below-decks diesel. My number one reason for wanting an electric drive is I hate having an ICE inside the boat with me. They take up huge room, they smell, they're hot, they're loud, and they're complicated. Don't get me wrong, I love engines, its not an anti-ICE thing, its a what-fits-the-problem thing. The second reason is cost, sure they use less fuel, but I'd have to burn an awful lot of fuel to make up for the increased cost, the Honda is about a grand and its done, a below deck generator is probably what $4-5k? Add to that sound enclosure, muffler, thru-hulls, exhaust hose and fittings, fuel tank, and the million other little things and we're close to twice the purchase cost of the generator. Way before that I'd just install a new diesel for propulsion.

I'm not going to add a generator right off, its just a possible solution if I find I don't get enough range out of the batteries. The 220 amp hour pack should be enough, the only situation I can think of requiring more than the 20-40 miles of motoring would be some long slog up a waterway or canal, which isn't on the radar anytime soon.

We'd all like 'best-possible-solution' type equipment and installations but the reality is my entire system from batteries to motor to solar to even generator will cost less than the engine alone for a repower or a diesel generator.

Besides we're talking about a forty year old 32 foot island hopper here:) My last boat's engine was so unreliable it was basically engine less (and that's how we sailed it), so *any* mechanical propulsion will be a big step up for me!

David

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 10:15 AM, sirdarnell <sirdarnell@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

If you are thinking about a generator anyway, why not a 48V DC generator. It'll be more economical to run the motor off and you can use DC to DC converters for 12V DC navigation devices and a sine wave inverter for AC appliances and even sensitive electronics.

I don't have any experience with these, but have read about them.

One example is: http://www.amplepower.com/products/genie/index.html

There are DC generators designed just for the marine environment.

David



--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmithfoil" <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> Group,
>
> I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart batteries.
>
> A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had planned on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and its probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)
>
> Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal before installation and before setting up the battery array. This conversion is part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six months before the boat heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries at the last moment so they don't just sit for that long. I can buy a small 48v power supply, but how much amperage is needed to test the system out? No need for full throttle, just turn on and spin the prop some.
>
> Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up something like this:
>
> http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml
>
> First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a Honda 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off the power supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That could give some redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries or their charger, and I'd need the supply for running on the bench anyway.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment