Monday, October 11, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] H-Belt tensioner

 

Keith, How about switching to toothed belts?  You'd have to spring for new pulleys but your tension issue would be gone forever, not to mention less radial load on the motor and thrust bearings.
 
IIRC, I paid about $250 for the pulleys, tapered adapters and belt for my boat.
 
Denny
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2010 8:38 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] H-Belt tensioner

 

Hi Folks,

I'd like to get a proper belt-tensioner on my rig but I can't for the life of me figure out all the parts needed from the Grainger catalog. Has anyone already done it that can post the parts-list?

I have a problem with the belt sometime slipping off my pulleys under load - which I can correct only by putting what I suspect is too much tension on the belt. Needless to say this most often happens when it's least convenient. I think the slight stretch of the belt combined with some flex in the mounting plates is causing this. Reducing the distance between pulleys might correct the flex, but I still think a tensioner will be the better choice.

Any help appreciated!

-Keith
e-S/V Aja
San Francisco

p.s was out for the Blue Angels yesterday - awesome! But that early-starting 5.2knot ebb didn't make my batteries happy

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment