Monday, October 11, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Some photos uploaded

 

I also thought it would be cool to have some control in the tiller but have decided to stick with a joystick mounted in the same location as the ICE controls-there's a hole there anyway:)
Here is a lousy video I shot running the motor with the Kelly controller on the bench. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j6P7ucvttY
I'm almost embarrassed to show it but it does demonstrate the unit.
Doug

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, David Goldsmith <suntreader@...> wrote:
>
> That's a very good looking installation Doug. Using an industrial gear box
> like that was my second choice, but I already had this one and every buck
> counts since this is part of a major multi-year rebuild of the boat. As far
> as controls go I'm using the integrated box offered by Kelly for use with
> their controllers:
>
> http://www.kellycontroller.com/controlbox-p-131.html
>
> Its a pretty home-made set-up but once everything was considered it was the
> least expensive and more importantly, its the quickest way to get going,
> just one plug and the controls are done and I know they're going to work.
> Once everything is running smoothly I'll build a nicer set of controls.
>
> I looked for a while for an appropriate single axis, no-return, 5k pot joy
> stick but never found one, you'll have to let us all know how yours works
> out.
>
> I've thought a lot about the controls too. With everything removed and
> filled my cockpit is now one solid bath tub with nothing through the walls.
> For some reason this appeals to me. I thought about mounting the switches
> and pots of a custom set up on the cabin bulkhead in the cockpit or even
> some micro switches and pots into the tiller itself. I thought that might be
> pretty neat. I've got to build a new tiller anyway.
>
> I'll try some lighter weight oil in the transmission.
>
> David
>
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Doug <dj2210@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Looks good David. I just fitted the gear reducer on my project this
> > weekend.
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/photos/album/1837698165/pic/1922930997/view
> >
> > Ebay had a couple of single axis joysticks used for mobile equipment that I
> > just purchased so they should be here sometime this week. I may have to
> > change out the pot but between them both I should be able to get something
> > just right. Reverse, Off-center detent, Forward.
> > Other than batteries and a charger that should do it.
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > "goldsmithfoil" <suntreader@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just uploaded a couple of pictures of my MARS PMAC motor mated up to a
> > Kanzaki transmission from the Yanmar 2QM removed from the boat. I cleaned up
> > the transmission, painted it and used an aluminum plate to mount the motor
> > to the bell housing in such a way that a spider coupler on the transmission
> > input mates to the motor drive shaft.
> > >
> > > I have a Kelly controller and controls on order. I'm planning on
> > installing it in a case mounted on top of the back of the gear box, so the
> > whole drive is in one more or less self contained unit.
> > >
> > > My thinking in using the gearbox is it will be a very robust and reliable
> > reduction gear and installation should be the same as any engine. I replaced
> > the engine beds with similar but much shorter ones in the boat.
> > >
> > > I do have a question about efficiency. There is some effort in turning
> > the transmission. I've been inside this type of gear box and its pretty much
> > just two shafts with gears, nothing to it. The efficiency of mechanical
> > gearboxes should be very high, in the 90% and up range, comparable to belt
> > reduction, but the initial effort in turning the output shaft makes me
> > wonder. Is it just that once the gears get running they are very efficient?
> > Is there a fly wheel effect going on?
> > >
> > > I'll update with pictures of the controller installed and installation in
> > the boat when the time comes.
> > >
> > > David
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment