Friday, October 8, 2010

[Electric Boats] Power supply to run motor

 

Group,

I'm setting up a MARS PMAC and Kelly KBL controller package for my Islander 32 (about 10k pounds or so.) It'll run off a set of 6V cart batteries.

A couple of questions. Has anyone used a Kelly controller? I had planned on a Sevcon originally but the Kelly seems like a nice unit (and its probably half the cost once everything is wired up and running.)

Second question: How can I go about bench testing the whole deal before installation and before setting up the battery array. This conversion is part of a larger restoration project and it'll be six months before the boat heads to the water, I wanted to buy the batteries at the last moment so they don't just sit for that long. I can buy a small 48v power supply, but how much amperage is needed to test the system out? No need for full throttle, just turn on and spin the prop some.

Looking for power supplies got me thinking. Could you set up something like this:

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-600-48.shtml

First for testing and then installed to power the motor off of a Honda 2000 generator? There would be enough power to run the motor off the power supply and charge the batteries off a separate charger. That could give some redundancy in case there is a problem with the batteries or their charger, and I'd need the supply for running on the bench anyway.

Thanks,
David

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment