Tuesday, October 5, 2010

[Electric Boats] Need Propeller Guru

 

Hey guys, my boat is almost done and pics to follow, but Im expecting the props will need adjusting and Id like to deal with that before launch.

I rebuilt an 18ft daysailor, 1200-lbs totally loaded, with six golf-cart batteries driving two 36v Minn Kota 101-lb-thrust motors rated 50 amps each. I estimate that is 3hp total at the props. My calc's estimate that a hull speed of 6mph can be reached with 2hp. Thats my goal.

Here is the tricky part. I dont know the rpm or pitch of the Minn Kota 101. Its 9"d, I hear its 4"pitch, but I dont know that or the RPM.

Rumor has it that at full RPM and small slip, the max boat speed for Minn Kota is 3.5 mph. If so, I want to increase the prop pitch and maybe diameter, too, so that I can reach hull speed. I have RMS amp meters on each motor and PWM controllers so I expect to be able to keep an eye on the motor amps/heating.

Can anyone analyse the Minn Kota RPM and prop ? Im preparing to buy a couple used 10x9 props and fix them to Minn Kota hubs. Any feed back on how this might result ?

p.s. I can buy used salt water Minn Kota 101's (1.5hp) anytime, including PWM controllers for about $450... thats a real watts/dollar bargain.

Thank you !

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment