Friday, October 8, 2010

[Electric Boats] Etek / Minn Kota controller compatability

 

Hi! I'm new here and have a question I'd like the group's opinions on.

I've had an E-boat project in the works for a while now. Several years ago, I bought a new Minn Kota "Rip Tide" 101-pound thrust unit. It's rated for use at 36 Volts, and I have three Optima 12-volt batteries.

The problem I have with the Minn Kota 101 is that it's just too slow at top speed. The controller provides several power levels in forward and reverse; but the maximum motor rpm and prop pitch can't provide more than around 6 mph, give or take.

Lately, I've been looking at the Etek and Mars motors that operate at a maximum of 48 volts, generate between 8 and 15 HP, and are capable of turning a more radical prop to produce higher overall speeds.

I've seen some E-boat designs on Youtube where the builder didn't even use a controller: he built a simple slider switch that contacted various copper strips to engage or disengage batteries, resulting in power of 12, 24, 36, or 48 volts to the motor. Nice in terms of simplicity, but I'd prefer a bit more gradient control over the potentiometer.

The dealers who sell Etek and Mars motors recommend several types of controllers, and they're all rather expensive. Always wanting to save money where able, this has me wondering about alternatives. Thus, my question:

Is there any reason why it wouldn't be possible (or advisable) to operate an Etek or Mars-type motor using the controller that came with my 36-volt Minn Kota Riptide 101?

I've read the performance graphs for the RT version of the Mars motors: they indicate at 36 volts I can expect 70% efficiency, and that's good enough for me.

To my way of thinking: the purpose of the Minn Kota controller is to provide varying levels of power from the batteries to the motor. I don't see any reason why the motor on the receiving end has to be a Minn Kota. 36 volts coming through the Minn Kota controller to the Etek or Mars motor should work, shouldn't it?

Or am I missing something here that might fry the controller?

I would really appreciate any insight you more-experienced E-boat operators can give me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Kirk

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment