Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats]Boating Safety( Looking for Advice on a Electric Drive System Supplier)

 


Kevin;

Sorry, I saw that your posst was a response to an earlier post, but grabbed the wrong name. My apologies. I just get sick of some folks with their purist holier than thou attitudes!

Chris

On 5/18/10 5:30 PM, "Kevin" <pembertonkevin@gmail.com> wrote:


 
 
   

Hey Chris,

I left the whole thing here to read.  I responded to the "True Sailor" comment in the original post at the bottom of this e-mail.  I cited my experence in the Sea in relation to the original post.  

I would rather sail but without an aux, one can get pretty board or in trouble.  My reasoning for sailing without a motor was because the aux broke, In La Paz MX southern Baja where parts to fix the motor were subject to the customs that made importing parts at best hard.

Please read everything below before you get offended, the comment was not mine just the response.  I guess I should have left this post alone rather than expressing my own discontent with what I read.

Kevin Pemberton

On 05/18/2010 09:33 AM, Chris Witzgall wrote:
 
 

Kevin;
 
If you need a motor to get through the Suez canal only, just rent an outboard when you get there.
 
BTW, I am not sure if you realize it, but your “True Sailor” comment is insulting to me, and I am sure to many. Because I need my motor at times, I am not a “True” sailor (whatever that is)?
 
 
 
Chris
 
 
On 5/18/10 12:05 PM, "Kevin" <pembertonkevin@gmail.com> wrote:
 
 
 

 
 
   
 
Hey Doug,
 
I have dropped in on this post a couple of times but failed to see this one.  I am wondering if your statement is true.  No navigational gear? No compass, no watch or clock, No sextant.  I am guessing by your statements that you have a group of boats following or leading you on your ventures but can't tell if this is true.
 
Are you a true Sailor? I spent a year without a Iron Sail in the Sea of Cortez and wonder if a true sailor is thinking much, when he decides to go forward without an aux motor.  The hours and days I spent just floating subject to weather change and dangers at sea on deck most of the time waiting for wind, is the main reason I converted to electric drive on my boat.
 
Kevin Pemberton
 
On 05/13/2010 04:54 PM, Doug Richmond wrote:
  
 
 
 
 
 
I don't post much, just sit back and listen. I have converted my Chrysler 22 to electric, and am building a cat for an unique circumnavigation. NO ONE has EVER tried to Solo without navigational gear, I will. In 1984 a professor and two friends did it, but not solo. My philosophy is, ANY idiot can drive a boat with a motor, a true sailor doesn't need one.
 

 
 
 
I will have electric drive on my cat for one reason, the Suez Canal. I have to keep up with the other vessels despite which way the wind is blowing. If I wanted to sail completely around Africa this would not be a problem, but....limited time and capital.
 

 
  
 


  

 
   


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment