Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats]Boating Safety( Looking for Advice on a Electric Drive System Supplier)

 

Kevin;

If you need a motor to get through the Suez canal only, just rent an outboard when you get there.

BTW, I am not sure if you realize it, but your “True Sailor” comment is insulting to me, and I am sure to many. Because I need my motor at times, I am not a “True” sailor (whatever that is)?



Chris


On 5/18/10 12:05 PM, "Kevin" <pembertonkevin@gmail.com> wrote:


 
 
   

Hey Doug,

I have dropped in on this post a couple of times but failed to see this one.  I am wondering if your statement is true.  No navigational gear? No compass, no watch or clock, No sextant.  I am guessing by your statements that you have a group of boats following or leading you on your ventures but can't tell if this is true.

Are you a true Sailor? I spent a year without a Iron Sail in the Sea of Cortez and wonder if a true sailor is thinking much, when he decides to go forward without an aux motor.  The hours and days I spent just floating subject to weather change and dangers at sea on deck most of the time waiting for wind, is the main reason I converted to electric drive on my boat.

Kevin Pemberton

On 05/13/2010 04:54 PM, Doug Richmond wrote:
 
 

 
I don't post much, just sit back and listen. I have converted my Chrysler 22 to electric, and am building a cat for an unique circumnavigation. NO ONE has EVER tried to Solo without navigational gear, I will. In 1984 a professor and two friends did it, but not solo. My philosophy is, ANY idiot can drive a boat with a motor, a true sailor doesn't need one.

 
 
I will have electric drive on my cat for one reason, the Suez Canal. I have to keep up with the other vessels despite which way the wind is blowing. If I wanted to sail completely around Africa this would not be a problem, but....limited time and capital.

 
 
 
  

 
   


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment