Friday, May 14, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] Mastervolt systems

 

Eric,

I have ordered batteries from EV Components before,  I think my figures are mostly accurate, You did ask for a volume discount? ;-) Also it takes 15 3.3 volt cell to make 48 volt pack.  With 16 cells you really have a 52 volt pack.   Always nice to have a little extra pep I guess.   I have not factored the BMS into the price. I'm sure it will add a grand to the price. 

As far as how far I think I can go it would most likely be about 3000 miles on a tank. (300 gallon tank)  As I have a 8 kw generator, 1.5 kw solar array and two 1.2 kw wind turbines.  I really have no ideal what speed I will get from running the 8kw generator.  That would feed each motor 4 kw sustained.  Who knows if the 1.5 kw array would even move my boat. ;-) I will post statistics when I have it all together.   The arrays and batteries are more for off the hook house loads then long distance running.  But I'm sure the batteries will add a little pep to things when I need all 20 kw of power.  

My primary design goal is a confutable off the hook experience, as I live on my boat. So my design goals my be a little different then yours.  Going electric for propulsion is more of a hobby and because I love love love my Vectrix.   I want my boat to be more like my scooter quite fun and trouble free lol. Fat chance of that I'm guessing. 

But on the plus side it will be nice to really know what "performance" a large non-sail boat will get with electric. All you sail folks are pretty down on the ideal.  It will be nice to finally know for sure, and have some real statistics.  Instead of the constant guessing that goes on around these parts.  


On May 14, 2010, at 9:59 PM, Eric wrote:

 

James,

EV components sold me 16 160Ah Thundersky cells for my 48V conversion. You will also need to factor in shipping and a BMS to your costs. My 8kWh bank came to around $3,600 ($0.45/kWh) delivered, with a simple passive BMS from another vendor. I think that you'll find your battery bank will be very close to $9,000. I just don't want you to be surprised when the time rolls around to place your order. My experience with EV Components is that you will get your batteries about 3 months after your check clears (mine didn't show up for 4 months, but that's a different story). Again, I think that this is important information for those that are planning on purchasing these batteries.

Since most people here equate 10kWh to 1 gallon of gas, how far will your 41' cruiser go today on 2 gallons of diesel? That's the range that you should expect from 19kWh of batteries alone. My boat had a range of about 10-15 miles on a single gallon of diesel and I expect my conversion to deliver 8-12 miles of range from the 8kWh bank, depending on throttle settings.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Sizemore <james@...> wrote:
>
> I will be going with two 10 kw silent props, for a total of 20kw and a none Mastervolt battery pack, unless they cut me a hell of a deal. Evcomponents will sell you a LiFePo4 400 AH 48 volt pack for $7000.00 that is a 19kwh pack....
>
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 14, 2010, at 2:34 AM, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> > Hey James,
> >
> > Are you still thinking about converting your 41' cabin cruiser? What is your latest list of components? The link you posted suggests a 23.9kW drive with 95kWh of batteries. I've found their AGM batteries for only $0.25/Wh, so their suggested battery bank would cost $24,000 and weigh 5,000 pounds.
> >
> > Eric


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment