Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] average energy consumption per day of a 44foot sailboat?

 

Kevin,

What is your boat and what batteries are you using.  I have a Tartan 37 that I need to repower. I've about given up on the electric option because there will be days when I'll need power for hours on the ICW, and my Honda 2000ie just doesn't have enough power to keep up with the demand.  So, unless I can come up with something better in the next few weeks, I'll be getting a new diesel.
Court
Dragonfly T-37c #249


On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Kevin Shepherd <kevin@green-power.info> wrote:
 

Hi
Boating has adopted a triple series hybrid approch, Wind/Battery(grid,solar,wind)/Fossil. This forums archives provide exellent sizing information. Unfortunatly the missing link is the availability of appropate diesel gen-sets so most of us use Honda 2000i's. I Use 144volt bank and safley installed the high voltage is perferable ,I also perfer Brushless rare earth perm. mag. motors with a large rotor dia. these run at low RPM and do not require a gear reduction but do need large dia. prop with a steep pitch and 4 blade 6 if possible. these motors are $$$. The gen set of my dreams? 5HP ,4 cyl, 1200-1800 rpm, fresh water cooled,common rail fuel delivery with programmable auto start and the ability to usr fossil or bio fuel driving a 2 Kw PM brushless DC genny with variable output connected directly to the Lithium batteries. 210L would go a long way.
Kevin Shepherd
E/SV Green
Canada
 


__._,_.___
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment