Sunday, March 7, 2010

Re: [Electric Boats] propellers (power generation)

 

Gramp, 

Your right, this discussion power generation (Regen) has come up more than once.  I still think that the right system, from the prop to the controller can be built to do this with a good recovery rate.    Most of the people here in the EBC that are using a controller that was built for electric vehicles with contact to a hard surface making the braking action the best way to actuate the generation system...    I don't believe this is the way we should go when trying to reclaim the used electric power with our drive prop.    I'm going the other way, I'm not trying for speed but for power which  changes the prop configuration completely, it is more like a hydro electric impeller that will also push the boat....   Hey I could be way off base but I'm getting closer all the time..    I also am using a separate 48 volt alternator using an Electra magnetic clutch to engage both the alternator and drive motor.   When I get back into the project this summer I should have some numbers.   Dave K

--- On Sat, 3/6/10, gramplarry <pfister.l@verizon.net> wrote:

From: gramplarry <pfister.l@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] propellers
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, March 6, 2010, 1:16 PM

this discussion sounds to me that regeneration has been discussed and even tried but seems to have been less successful than everyone would like. by this i mean pure regeneration not just matching the prop to sailing speed. 
what happened and what are the reasons for not being successful.
how much drag for regeneration would be acceptable?
how much power needs to be supplied by the propeller to the motor to have regeneration?
what propeller rpm and torque would start and maintain regeneration.
How much power should be regenerated with time.
what usage? house batteries  and power batteries of both etc.



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment