Thursday, March 18, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Possible C27 conversion

 

Hi Doug,

Your Catalina 27 should be a good platform for an electric auxiliary.

There are plenty of posts here regarding actual installed system performance, I'm not sure how you would search for them other than reading through a lot of messages.

Here are my specifics;

Installed May of '08
Ericson 27
SolidNav Explorer
Two 48 volt battery banks (4 group 27's and 4 group 31's both AGM)
12x10 three blade fixed prop
Kipoint 48 volt charger, Pro Charging Systems Four Bank Pro
PakTrakr battery monitor
Various switches and cable

At a draw of 20 amps I get 4 knots of boat speed. To date the longest I've motored was 7hrs at 20 amps and used only one of the banks.

I also thought I would build a system myself but ended up buying a factory-built motor/controller/mount/reduction/throttle/forward-reverse switch unit. There was enough to do with running cable and mounting batteries to satisfy my tinkering needs.

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment