Friday, March 12, 2010

[Electric Boats] Etek golf cart motor for sailboat?

 

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A REVISED POST:

Hey everyone,
great to see so many going green on the water, and most importantly sharing info as a community.
I have lived aboard an engineless Morgan 30 for many years now and cruised throuhout the Caribbean and Bahamas. Alas I am not as young as I once was and the need to add an enngine- or motor - has become evident.
Recently, I came across a free, yet functioning, golf cart. After scratching my chin for a bit I realized this may be the solution.
With that in mind, and being certain to label everything carefully, I removed the entire rear end, and the controls.
To sum it up, what I have is an encased rear axle - with exposed splines on the shaft ends-  attached to a reduction housing and then to a 2 hp dc 36 volt motor with forward neutral and reverse. Also it's variable speed of course.
Being the real axle - or an axle to be more accurate - I will have one end ( where the tire and hub were ) to connect to the prop shaft via a universal joint, and one end free where I could attach a large pulley, maybe on a PTO, to an alternator.  
AMPS IN: three 110 watt solar panels ( I live in places with almost 100% sun)
                 One airx wind generator
       I also have a three foot single blade halyard wind genny ( that got wet and needs help)                  
& The preposed alternator which of course will cause X? Amp draw as well as creating anywhere from 25,45,90,110 amps per hr. With a supposed? additional amount of amps to spin it respectively as the output goes up.
   Backup: 40 amp output 110v ac to 12v dc converter for gas genny - as an emergency application only, not for day to day use.
THE BOAT: is light for a cruiser. She's about 8000 pounds loaded and draws little water with a swing keel/centerboard design. She does have an engine room where an atomic gas engine used to sit prior to my ownership. It likely had a max of ten or twelve? hp and could have been as little as eight depending on the factory at the time. Or so I've been told.  
For sake of comparison: a eight horse four stroke Honda with it's tiny and inoportunely placed prop, pushes us along at four to five knots at mid range to higher Rpms- on the transom
I have no illusions about motoring for days or even hours. Well maybe two hours in a day would be great. But primarily we want to utilize the motor for exiting and entering port. We're sailors. I hope to not exceed 30 amps/hr to achieve 3-4 knots.  
My enduring questions are
is it possible to calculae the amp loads vs knots achieved to any real approximate? This entails many variables of course, but then I'm no engineer either.
Is 2 hp with it's reduction gear and a huge propeller enough to acheive say four knots?
Tangentally, is there any way to pull 12 volts from a 36 volt bank to feed house system?
Is there any truth to the arguement that a larger alternator draws appreciably more?
Is there any truth to the arguement that electric hp and combustion hp are not equivalent/ elec is greater in ratio?
Am I out of my mind?
Anyway, I'm sure I've left out some pertinent detail somewhere. Feel free to let me know or provide any feedback whatsoever.
Thanks for your time
mtd

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment