Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Thunderstruck Gear Reduction

Couple of questions...

Are you conflating the Thunderstruck reduction gear (which is a belt drive unit with a thrust bearing) with the chain coupler?  Two different and distinct parts of the driveline.

Also, are the lovejoy type spider couplers and the spicer type u-joint couplers made to handle thrust loads?  I suspect the answer is no?  If that's correct you will need a thrust bearing between the propeller shaft (with all the required support structure) and either of these couplers.  And that means an alignment of at least the thrust bearing with the propeller shaft.  And if that is the case the only one of the couplers mentioned that can handle a slight miss-alignment and the thrust loads is the Drivesaver type.  And then you still need a thrust bearing between the Drivesaver and the motor or reduction gear.

Motor -- reduction gear  --  thrust bearing -- coupler -- prop shaft


Dan Pfeiffer

 

On 2020-12-16 2:06 pm, Steven Borg wrote:

Thanks, Michael.  I spelunked through all the photos on the site that I could find and didn't see any with a direct connect.  The Thunderstruck chain reduction does seem quite popular though!  
 
I'll keep looking!  I keep flipping between elastomeric couplings (jaw/LoveJoy) (since if they break they still will turn the prop, just with a lot of rattling) and a universal joint (Spicer, etc) like you'd find in the driveshaft of a car (which can support much more misalignment, but if breaks won't turn the prop).
 
:-)
Steve
 
 
 
---- On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 16:50:24 -0800 Michael Blackstock <mdblackstock@gmail.com> wrote ----
 
Steve, I'll have to look back at the group posts, but somebody used a flexible coupling to do the direct connect. I believe they posted multiple pictures or it might have been a video...
I'm not sure what method I'm using yet
 
Michael Blackstock

Cell phone 503-913-8217
 
On Mon, Dec 14, 2020, 7:45 PM Steven Borg <steve@theborg.family> wrote:
 
Michael,
 
For a direct connect via a flexible coupling...  What type of coupling are you considering, or would recommend?  I'm trying to determine how to connect my motor to my transmission / gear reducer.
 
Thanks!
 
:-)
Steve
 
 
 
---- On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:52:18 -0800 William Shannahan via groups.io <shannahanwilliam=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote ----
 
I had to order a bigger hydraulic crimper because I went 2/0 for battery cable and couldn't find anything locally that would crimp the lugs. So I am going to try and install the battery cables tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't speak to the noise or vibration till then.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
 

From: electricboats@groups.io <electricboats@groups.io> on behalf of Michael Blackstock <mdblackstock@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 4:49:47 PM
To: electricboats@groups.io <electricboats@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [electricboats] Thunderstruck Gear Reduction
 
William, just curious if you've completed installation of the gear reduction? 
Thunderstruck recommended the same setup to me, but I'm curious about any extra noise you think the reducer might cause vs. a direct mount of the motor to the prop shaft via a flexible coupling
 
 
Michael Blackstock

Cell phone 503-913-8217

No comments:

Post a Comment