Saturday, December 5, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Grounding.

I found this interesting. They are suggesting not grounding DC systems to the water at all.


On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 10:24 James Marcroft-Clark <greenlinepcs@gmail.com> wrote:
Thomas, 

I read somewhere that 48 volt boat systems do apply, because they were not being ambiguous about the 50 volts. If it goes above 50 volts even when charging, it needs to meet ABYC E-30. I'll see if I can find the link.


On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 08:28 THOMAS VANDERMEULEN <tvinypsi@gmail.com> wrote:
Bob & James,
Yes ... I'd previously confirmed with ABYC that Standard E30 Electric Propulsion Systems applies to systems running voltages of less than 300 VAC and 60 VDC, and does not apply to 48-volt systems.
However, in my mind, even if my surveyor isn't going to apply E-30 when he/she is evaluating my boat, it does not mean that I should NOT try to conform to it.  More to the point, E-11 does not contain anything directly applicable to electrical propulsion systems.  In fact, because it was drafted with diesel and gasoline auxiliaries in mind, certain aspects of the standard are difficult to interpret and apply in the case of electric propulsion.  [Take this discussion about grounding, for instance!]  So, I read and apply E-30 when it seems to suit and be helpful even if it is not technically applicable.  My thought is that if a certain design approach is good for 60 VDC then it's probably suitable for 48 VDC and should be followed if practical.  Otherwise, I read and apply E-11 as others have suggested.
I *do* however like the pointer to the shaft brush item to ground the prop shaft.  Nigel Calder references a similar technology in his book.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30993) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment