Monday, December 14, 2020

[electricboats] Connecting motor to transmission - Spicer? Lovejoy?

Wow! This group is fantastic. I have learned so much from all the content and the wonderful folks answering questions.  Thank you!

I'm trying to determine how to best connect a Velvet Drive 72C transmission/gear reducer to a Hyper-9 144V motor. I'm stumped. I have the transmission itself, as well as the transmission "spring plate" adapter from the diesel engine. But connecting the two is a challenge...

So, here's a few of my current thoughts.  

First, I'm trying to understand the 'best' general approach for connecting the two shafts. My top 3 choices (currently) all allow for some level of misalignment. They are:
1) Jaw Coupling (aka LoveJoy) with a spider between them. Thinking size L150? Big enough to support the required 2,000 in-lbs of torque from the engine.

L075 L Type Lovejoy Style Jaw Coupling & Rubber Spider Set
2) Universal Coupling (aka Spicer). Thinking size 1350??

Universal Joint Assemblies (Standard Series): 1'' x 1'' I.D.(Inner  Diameter), 1000 RPM, 800 Lbs, 5" Overall Length, 1/4'' Keyway, 133016:  Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

3) Marine Flexible Coupling. I have one of these between my transmission and prop shaft:


Each of these would give me the appropriate level of flexibility (I'm planning a self installation).  But I have no idea the pros and cons of these approaches.

Next, once I know the above approach, I have to figure out how to connect the transmission to the coupling. 

For the Jaw and Universal couplings, I figured I'd cut the spline out of the existing transmission adapter and weld it into/onto the coupling. For the flexible coupling #3 (don’t know what it’s called), I could maybe use the plate as it is (cutting it down to maybe 5 inches in diameter), and mount it to a plate which I could mount to the flexible coupling. 

Coming in from the engine isn’t a problem. I can find Jaw, Universal or just a flange that adapts easily. It’s easy to find something to fit a 1 1/8 inch shaft with a ¼” keyway.  😊  But a bit harder to find something that fits the 26-spline, seemingly one-off, shaft of the Velvet Drive 72C.

Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas?

Thanks!
Steve

 

PS.  I’m the one with the 55’ sailboat that posted earlier!  Thanks for all the previous help, too!

 

 

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31033) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment