Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] High Voltage in a canoe

 

I actually just put a torqueedo prop on a riptide 112 thrust min kota. It's reverse pitch to the stock prop though. I also had to drill out the center to 5/8. Just an experiment. I don't like the idea of reverse all the time. I seem to remember them saying something about different power to forward and reverse....have to look into it.



Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: "Ned Farinholt nedfarinholt@comcast.net [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Date: 06/17/2015 1:34 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] High Voltage in a canoe

 

Regarding props for Minn Kota you might look at  http://www.kipawapropellers.com . 10-15% speed improvement is claimed. I have no personal experience. I expect there is a reasonable limit to the increase in pitch you can achieve with Minn Kota and similar trolling motors. I think they are designed to turn at relatively high rpm with low pitch weedless props; fine for achieving trolling speeds of a very few knots. Too much pitch and you could overload the motor causing burnout or overload protection action by the controller.

Ned
 
On Jun 16, 2015, at 9:39 AM, oak oak_box@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


I would be shocked but thrilled if a Torqeedo prop fit any other trolling motor.  I'm assuming someone (possibly with good 3-D printer skills??) will need to come up with a slick way to adapt them.

But I'd really like to see what happens if you do (does it burn up the motor, or just double the performance?).

John


From: "Tommy Boy tommy033107@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com 
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 2:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: High Voltage in a canoe

 
I am running the Minn Kota Endura Max 45 that they claim can run up to 5 times longer the the regular Minn Kota motors. PWM is what I think the control design was called. I was not awareTorqeedo made a prop that would fit a Minn Kota ! Does it produce more speed with lower amp draw? That is what I am looking for now :-) Time to go search for this propeller :-) 
Tommy
Serenity Solar Canoe



On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:40 AM, thall90024@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 
I think I better stick with DC only and not try to go both ways. I looked at your solar canoe and it looks really cool. Are you using the Minn Kota with the digital maximiser " battery management system" ?
Have you tried installing the Torqeedo prop on your motor, that would seem to be the perfect setup. The Torqeedo travel prop is as the Germans are fond of saying  "Superior Technology". 
Thanks for all the imput.






__._,_.___

Posted by: Mike <decristofaro3@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
IMG_2129 (3).JPG


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment