Sunday, June 28, 2015

[Electric Boats] electric drive for Cat 27 sailboat [1 Attachment]

 
[Attachment(s) from billhopen@yahoo.com [electricboats] included below]

My latest electric drive project is for a Cat27 (1981)  that i picked up at auction real cheap-- $360. ,  mostly because it had no diesel engine left in it....PERFECT!   I tried to pull dampener/flywheel off its 1 inch bronze shaft, but it wouldn't budge, so I removed prop and pulled prop shaft out into boat...might as well re-stuff the stuffing box and buff the old bronze shaft up eh?.   So I had a 8-10hp electric motor that i decided to gear down to about 1000rpm   for cruising.


The power-shaft of my build was an old Chevy axle which i cut down to 24",  I mounted it inbetween off -the-shelf pillow block bearings and spun it via an old washing machine motor and belt, then took a 5 inch grinder to it as it whirled round at 1700 rpm, I worked the metal down like I was sanding a spindle on a  wood lathe.   The out of balance shaft was soon a gleaming, balanced shaft with a flat faced flange and inset to recieve dampener...the thing looked like it came fro a machine shop!  I scored a line at exactly 3.25 inches, and with dividers marked off quadrants to get the location of the 4 bolt pattern.  I struck them with a center punch and drill themon my drill press and ...perfect!  they match for a smooth balanced bolt up


The motor is held on a tripod support with tighteners to tension and adjust the roller chain side-to-side.  I used the old diesel motor mount isolaters to carry the assembly and slide it in for a bolt up.


"EZ - DC"    (that's the name of my boat)

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from billhopen@yahoo.com [electricboats] | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 File(s)


Posted by: billhopen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment