Thursday, June 18, 2015

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Repower Next Winter?

 

 my new project electric powered 27 footer


I just installed my  10 hp electric drive motor with roller chain transmission onto the existing inboard propeller bronze drive shaft  (to which a diesel engine was formerly attached)    Shades of Brooklyn Tech High School "belt jungle".  all done without a lathe,  I took a chevy pickup drive axle, cut it down to about 24"  and put pillow block bearings on it front and back...it was out of round, bent perhaps, so while spinning the old shaft with a belt on a 1/2 HP 1725 motor, I paired it down into a beautiful, balanced gleaming shaft with a flattened face plate on the flange where the wheel studs were formerly inserted..   all the work was done with a high speed 5inch grinder and a bench rest, working the steel like a wood lathe bowl turner would.

I was able to inset a depression with a dremel tunsten bit die grinder in the spinning face of the flange that matched the boat shaft perfectly, then I scored a line at exactly 3.25" and with dividers laid out 4 holes equal holes at quadrants to bolt up to original dampener fly wheel on the boat's shaft, .....I punched those points with a center punch....when I drilled holes on the drill press, they matched up faultlessly, like a machine shop did it.....Shades of Brooklyn Tech!  I gave myself an "A" on that project.

This new boat is a 1981 Catalina 27, an 8000 pound boat, nearly 3000 pounds of which was lead keel and diesel motor/fuel tank etc (keel was dis-attached and left with Baltimore recycler)  So after buying the boat for $360. on e-bay and selling the lead, I came home with the boat for free and bonus cash in my pocket .

The ballast keel was too heavy for my lake cruiser, and stuck down too far to trailer and boat ramp launch.  Some of the weight will be replaced in batteries and internal ballast and some in a small heavy bottom bolt up(about 4-500lbs)  Since I'm not sailing with big sails catching 20 knot winds, I don't need all that ballast (2700 lead), just a little for stability in the relatively calm waters of our mountain lakes.  the ton and a half less displacement will make the boat easier to push.

I estimate 2000 watts-2500 watts will get me to 80% hull speed, (like 5 knots). but we will see in trials in the coming weeks.

just want to say hey to another sailboat converter...you can do it, gear down your electric motor  to run prop @ 1000 rpm. , use voltage 12- 24-, 36-, 48v to choose your speed in a slow-low-medium-high switch....you will save so much more over a high amperage motor controller.

I'm using 50 AH wheelchair batteries AGM type, 25 lbs apiece, Under $90  ea delivered for power.   My 21 foot electric sail boat (rk21) ran over 6 miles at 1600 watts/5knots on mostly just two battteries more than adequate for you Baltimore harbor needs

go electric!!!

__._,_.___

Posted by: billhopen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment