Monday, June 1, 2015

[Electric Boats] New Guy building electric lake cruiser?

 

I've been researching the possibility of an electric powered displacement hulled lake cruiser for a while now.  Here in NJ we have a lot of small lakes, but many of them are electric only.  As a result, many of them are only plied by fishermen in jon boats with a trolling motor, a lot of batteries, and not enough freeboard.  I've been looking at two moderately sized displacement hulls for the purposes of taking my family (crew of five total-two adults and three children) out on these lakes comfortably and safely-something we can't do in an aluminum jon with a trolling motor.  

Here are the two boats I've been looking at-Jim Michalak's Dani Jay, and Jeff Spira's Ablemarle:


Michalak states that the boat needs no more than 5 HP to cruise at hull speed.


Spira specs this one for anywhere from 10-30 HP, but when I corresponded with him a while back he said that the 7.5 HP outboard I had would push it along just fine.  About that outboard-it's a Sears Gamefisher-the motor runs but for how long who knows-parts are non existent.  My plan would be to swap the gas powerhead for a motor like this one:


The question is, how long can I run it pushing 2000lbs at 6 knots?  I talked with a tech from the company that sells the Mars motor who told me that I have to run at least 48V and that 72V would really be ideal for a reasonable run time.  I'm looking forward to hearing from others who have built similar boats and their experiences.  


__._,_.___

Posted by: Matthew Hall <yotatruck91@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment