Friday, June 5, 2015

[Electric Boats] Displacement vs semi-dispalcement hull at low speeds

 

Hi!
Maybe some of you have have the pratical experience or theoretical knowledge about different hull types to answer this question:

For a 26-28" boat at low speeds, say 4-5 knots, will a semi-displacement hull need more motor power than a displacement hull?
I have attached two photos. One of them is a 27" displacement, and the other is a 26" semi-displacement.

The reason I ask is because I am consdering to buy a new boat before I perform my electric conversion. I now have a Risør 27 (similar to the first picture) built in the 70's. But it seems like most of the boats of sizes 26-30" I find on the market now (typically made in Norway in the 80's) are of the semi-displacement type, made for speeds around 12-15 knots or even more. I expect speeds above 5-6 knots to be very power demanding for any hull type, but is the traditional displacement the most effective low speeds?

Regards
Bendik

__._,_.___

Posted by: Bendik Vignes <bendik.vignes@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
picture of semi displacement hull Biam 800.jpg


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment