Wednesday, January 28, 2015

RE: [Electric Boats] Charging batteries in series?

 

Regarding NiFe batteries, Jeff indicated:

“Wow, this *is* interesting.  I'm looking at the spec sheet for the 300Ah cell at 1.2v.  So for 48v I would need 40 of them, and at 23.1 lbs per cell, that is close to 900lbs of battery :)  Using their pricing page it looks like that pack would cost $11,400.  Has anyone used these for EV applications yet?  I do love the idea that you can abuse the crap out of them.  They claim 11,000 cycles.”

 

Jeff- Such a pack would yield just shy of 15kwh and cost almost 1.5x what my 30kwh of ex-THINK EnerDel lithium modules cost (3x kwh/$).  My pack weighs about 650# (3x kwh/#).  If you have $11k for batteries, there are lots of options available to you.

 

As for cycle life, for pleasure boat use, more than a thousand cycles seems like a multi-lifetime concern and value.  I mean, how many of us charge our packs more than 3x per month on average?  I’d guess that with PbA, I was at about 30 charge cycle per year usage.  Now with a larger lithium pack, I probably am looking at 15-20 charge cycles per year.  My pack is likely good to 2000 cycles with still 80% capacity after that---i.e. these lithium batteries’ won’t be seeing that cycle life for the next 100 years and will more likely die from some other fate before then.

I couldn’t place a value on 11,000 cycles for a pleasure boat battery pack unless it were also my commute boat or I otherwise got it out every day of the year for 35 years and had to recharge it daily.

 

-Myles

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Myles Twete" <matwete@comcast.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment