Saturday, January 31, 2015

[Electric Boats] Results of EBoat from outboard change at years end

 

Just for comparisons, a years conversation .  My system is 48 volt, and Golden Motor HPM 48-5000, I have two of these power systems, one in use now.  Same motor as the Venice gondolas on the site.   I order direct from Johnson Liu, and he has delivered better service and assistance than was expected.  I have full confidence that if a problem arises, I am convinced that he can help faster and better than could be expected.  I would recommend using his name to get first class warranty service as well.
 
The newer Interstate battery pack -- Lead acid batts., four marine deep cycles, Interstate srm-27 and not sealed, plus just good double caps and in outside seat boxes.  Charger is a 48 volt full auto 15 amp. -- and separate trickle battery saver for winter storage.  That is what is in place now for my ( guess ) 2000 lb cabin (loaded) semi-vee,  "High Voltage", as of last summer.   Battery pack is centered in boat under the seat boxes.  Total weight LOSS over the original installed 50 hp outboard is estimated at 200 lbs, with old power head and full gas tanks weight gone away.  Way more fun boat to drive, stripped out the shifter wiring,  no water pump, gears in forward gear, and moved weights to balance out.  Same 12 X 8 prop, with added cup and re-pitched to match hull speed needs.
 
Original batts were recycled from 3 – # 27s, and one #24 from what boats I could use to destruct test with.  About 2 and a bit hours with careful use around hull speed, applied good power to check the system.  Four coots plus me (800 lb. easy) on board ok for hour or so, but drop after that.  Last trip 2 hrs. max. JUST got back to dock with the #24 (as expected) first smaller one "Smokin", three getting warm from misuse, four breaker resets to get back to dock, ask John Kohnen about that one.   The corker was that when I replaced all four, my battery supply place –- Interstate local dealer – said the other three were still checking out good, that was a surprise.  These were ALL from their "recycled and tested OK, six month warranty" USED BATTERY BIN.  Take outs from emergency vehicles, at mandatory one year service, previous was fire or ambulance use, possibly hospital managed stand by service.  
 
Replacing them was a less than $400, total cost, and all old ones DID NOT test as needs replacing, but I considered that some might have unseen damage on the water, and balance out better if replaced.   Looks like I can expect some good years, 3 years minimum.  Why, – the trade in three (those were also recycles) had been running my other Minn Kotas for at least two to three years, and/or starting and back up battery as set up couple years, on the same power boat.  Another one yet is still the secondary battery in my truck, used for the camper power from the same year, checks out fine still.  Sorry, but I guess I just don't buy the math for a pack that can cost more that I would now consider reasonable for over four years of use, and still need to be watched and cared for.   Common sense of battery draw is available from every dealer, try to stay there, & watch the weather and current too.  I never remove the pack, don't ever turn it sideways HA! - intentionally, just trickle charge, and keep the boat dry is all it gets.  First trickle charger was under $10.00 from Harbor Freight, and one two battery pack still uses that same one -- after two years tarp covered in the back yard.   Pack those puppies inside, never happen here, just check monthly for water, could buy a heated anti freeze water line for $20. like in my home pump house for inside the battery box, trickle charge works here, eh – 6 yrs. so far.
 
I dropped my idea of the more expensive ones even briefly (as a factory rep), because they are more than I can see as a fair price for service.   I found affordable and suitable good Interstate deep cycle batteries are available without any hassle, except to call and reserve four from a group that check as a good draw and close match, and warrantied, at their shop.  The one thing is to use super spec. size wiring, as I it relieves heat and helps battery life.  For me it is getting it done, at a decent price, and I get a good week end of water time without hassles, free recharge at most docks (long and BIG 100 ft  primary size cord)  without too much battery cost or cash out at any one time.  Sure would hate to fry a real battery pack that cost as much as my whole conversion, by weather, instrument, or human error – that would hurt big time $$.   Later I plan on a small genset for real freedom, another $600. for what matches well, weighs less than a second pack, among other camp uses.
 
When I retired, and just in time for health issues as it turned out.  The last cost in my book, including motor, the earlier control box, motor shell set up and newly repainted, a bolt on outboard conversion like mine installed was ball parked $2,250.  from my stripped power head for easier shop dis assembly.   Some power variables could make it cheaper, depends on what you need.  I'm doing another one myself, but not the same project.  The above are my observations, and I hope maybe show better numbers for some to make it more affordable.  Under $5 K for the whole project, including the pack, wiring, donor motor, controls, etc. seems a lot more reasonable, to never buy boat gas again, or care about altitude, or gassie problems.   This from the guy who now owns three small electric boats, cruiser, sail auxiliary, and inflatable with two types of Minn Kota --  Thanks for reading this, kinda long but I hope it is a bit more detail than previously said.   Retired jewelers are not engineers, so I rely on  ----- " fogger it out, get 'er done, see what happens" eh ??
 
best of luck,  Cal
 
 
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2015 6:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Charging batteries in series?
 
 

Lithiums cost about the same as agm/lead acid for the usable power.
About three times nominal cost for three times usable power / setup.

On 31/01/2015 14:50, Jason Taylor jt.yahoo@jtaylor.ca [electricboats] wrote:
> My pack is 4 banks of 4 cells, each weighing 30lbs. Installed behind
> the engine, it's a simple affair to pick them up with one hand and
> remove them for the winter. They are currently sitting their shipping
> crate in my basement, waiting for our < -20C winter temps to go away.
>
> Lithiums are the way to go.
>
> Cheers,
>
> /Jason

--
-hanermo (cnc designs)

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (23)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment