Sunday, March 10, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] OT: reducing spam on the group

 

Mark,

The only time my email was hijacked was when I was foolish enough to
sign up for one of those alternate email set-ups.
speaking of alternate email set-ups, I just saw that some ones email
wanted to "connect us together" much the same idea. Because I too use
Ubuntu Linux, I don't worry about opening an email with a virus, or
limiting my web browsing for that matter. Opening such email won't cause
any damage to my system, that is a Microsoft thing. The problem for
Linux users is acting on a request in the email we are reading. Just
remember that with the open source Linux community, they act on a
possible threat to the system and fix it. On a Microsoft system, a group
of companies act on an existing threat, and seek a way to neutralize it,
that is, not fix the system.

In answer how you can avoid such embarrassment in the future?

(1)Continue using Linux to access your email.
(2)Don't share an email account with anyone(including family member
that could accept an offer by email on your account, they can get
their own).
(3)Don't accept offers via email that the company did not have your
permission to send the solicitation in the first place.
(4)Don't forget to change your password on your mail account.

If you do these things you will be like me has opened many emails that
most would recommend I not because I was once a moderator on this list
and that is what I had to do. And for the record I have not used any
form of anti virus after 2004
when I first started using Ubuntu Linux.

With all the laws to put these criminals behind bars, it is still our
job to not make it easy for them to scam us. Report your unsolicited
mail to the Fed. They have the CANSPAM act to enforce, so help them.

Kevin Pemberton

On 03/08/2013 07:07 AM, Gerald Boucher wrote:
> From:electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
> On Behalf Of Mark F
> Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 11:40 PM
> To:electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] OT: reducing spam on the group
>
>
> I am trying to determine how this Yahoo spam works.
> My wife and kids use windows computers with firefox and they were hacked.
> I use linux with firefox and I have not been hacked.
> Is the hacking coming from our computers or is it a Yahoo issue itself and
> I'm just lucky?
>
> Mark

--
Committing murder in exchange for lifestyle
makes you a "thug" not a "Rights Activist"

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment