Saturday, March 16, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: 1963 pearson Ariel, Triumph, electric conversion

 

Hi Matt,

Great looking rebuild. I like your design approach. I looked through some of your thread on the Pearsonariel site but did not see the engine compartment. Why do you have to extend the prop shaft?

Mike G, I'm curious about the 9" pitch that you suggest. I am currently running a 13x13 fixed 3 blade on my Ericson 27 and getting higher top end better acceleration(braking)and more regeneration than the 12x10 fixed 3 blade that I was using previously. I do notice it is a bit trickier to keep the amp draw low but I am getting the same 20amp (48-50 volt) 4 knots of boat speed.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "a97triumph" <a97triumph@...> wrote:
>
> This is good info, thanks Mike. I will do some research on all the accessories. One quick comment would be cost. The Sevcon digital display would be excellent, however I think I will be going with a 48v 10 dollar analog SOC meter.
>
> 10-4 on the lazerette. It will be partitioned, ventilated and cooled appropriately.
>
> As far as the prop goes, hmm. I will see about replacing the puny little 2-blade i currently have.
>
> matt
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Gunning" <mike@> wrote:
> >
> > We use the same motor and it will give you about 4.5kw continuous power which is more than enough. LOA: 25.58' LWL: 18.50' Beam: 8.00' Disp. 5700 lbs We are doing a Pearson Trition with the same the EY 5.0 slightly bigger than your Ariel. I have not seen group 27 at 100AH but there are good group 31s out there at that size.
> > That is a comprehensive spreadsheet you have built for the boat. Some things to add to your spreadsheet for the motor might include:
> > * Likely the propeller is less than adequate if it was from an A4. Look for a 3 blade 12X9 and have the system programed for that prop
> > * USCG Master Switch for battery pack $50
> > * Heat sink for the Sevcon $50 (give it lots of ventilation)
> > * T Fuse to protect the 48v system mounted within 12inches of the batteries $100
> > * Coupler (likely different sized shafts) $100
> > * Adjustable motor mounts for alignment (minimum of 2) $100
> > * Battery monitor (I like the Sevcon) $350
> > * Control wiring for monitor with marine connectors $50
> > * Should go with 1/0 marine battery cables $150
> > * Rubber caps for protection for all power cable ends $20
> > * 48v15a charger would be appropriate for that battery pack $350
> >
> > There are issues with running the small Honda in the lazerette. You need to provide for air cooling and exhausting. Make sure it is sealed so that exhaust does not fill into the living compartments. Do not store gas in the same compartment. The CG does not like the fuel arrangement and carburetor of the Honda generator so also have a plan for a deck tie down mounting of the Honda.
> >
> > The Pearson sure are pretty boats.
> >
> > Mike Electric Yacht of Southern California
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Helpful Guy <a97triumph@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Howdy all,
> > >
> > > I am in the process of rebuilding the venerable Pearson Ariel. �The previous owner had fixed and upgraded some of the exterior, like recoring the deck and painting the topsides, however the interior was left in its 1960s attire, so my main goals are to rebuild the interior and repower with an electric drive. �Not a small feat to accomplish over the winter... however, I have the luxury of time, so I am able to work as much as I can tolerate.
> > >
> > > If you would like to see the rebuild, most of it is here:�http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?1332-Ariel-97/page9
> > >
> > > However, as I am working my way around the boat I am now ready to tackle the electric conversion in earnest. �As you might imagine, I am trying to do as much as I can in order to keep the cost low. �So, I am thinking of purchasing the 8.5kW sailboat kit from Thunderstruck-ev.com along with 4 group 27, 12v100Ah, AGM type batteries. �I am going to fabricate my own motor mount and will be adding a Honda i2000eu generator in the lazerette.
> > >
> > > more later, matt�
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment