Monday, January 28, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] New member on the Bay Of Quinte

 

ibl is what electric yacht call the system. They did this when they switched to bridhless.
AGM is abdorbed glass mat. Which is a dry leadacid battery. No acid to spill. They also have lower internal resistance.
Richard


Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android



From: VE7YID@yahoo.com <VE7YID@yahoo.com>;
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] New member on the Bay Of Quinte
Sent: Mon, Jan 28, 2013 8:29:01 PM

 


what do ibl  and agm  translated mean? thanks -Eirik
--- On Mon, 1/28/13, Richard Mair <fullkeel2000@yahoo.ca> wrote:

From: Richard Mair <fullkeel2000@yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] New member on the Bay Of Quinte
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>, "james.pilchak@gmail.com" <james.pilchak@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, January 28, 2013, 7:07 AM

 
This looks very possible. As an example we are running an electric yacht 100ibl in an Alberg 30. We can run 4 hours at 3.2 knots from a 200 amp agm lifeline pack to 50% discharge. Draw at this speed 20 amps. We had her doing 4.7 once but this is over 100 amps, all on 48 volts.. I would expect you would use a bit more current because of the extra weight. You would probably be better off with a 180ibl or a system around that power rating.
Nice looking boat.
We expect to be on lake Ontario sometime this summer. Plan to blog about out trip up the St.Lawrence and will put a link here. Hope this gives you some idea of what is possible.
Richard


Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android


From: sv_ironmaiden <james.pilchak@gmail.com>;
To: <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>;
Subject: [Electric Boats] New member on the Bay Of Quinte
Sent: Sat, Jan 26, 2013 3:29:13 PM

 
Hello,

I am a new member of this group, thought I'd introduce myself.

I had been interested in electric propulsion for a while before going to the recent boat show in Toronto. After talking to a few diesel companies about replacing the Volvo MD11C in my boat, I became even more interested...

My boat is a 27' Vollenhovense Bol. She is a Dutch, 11,000 lb steel, gaff rigged double-ender with leeboards.


The existing engine works well enough, but I have read enough to know repairs are expensive. If anything other than basic maintenance is required I will repower.

Outside of sailing, quite often the wife and I motor around in the evening (I live wasterfront, and keep the boat on my dock) for an hour or so. Would be amazing to do this without the clatter and stink of a diesel beneath us.

The plan is to install a series hybrid.

I'm thinking:

5 to 10 KW BLDC motor, gear reduction as needed
battery bank 48V? 72V?
dual remote start generators
associated chargers, controllers, etc...

The MD11C with reverse gear is about 500lbs, so this is how much weight I have to replace. The motor resides under the cockpit, totally separate from the cabin. I want to keep all generators, batteries in this area.

My original thinking was to use two Honda eu2000i generators with the parallel kit, but they don't have remote start. I have found similar small inverter generators with remote so I will have to go with those. I had considered using one bigger genny, but like the flexibility and redundancy of two smaller. I will make my own control system to start and stop the generators as needed, probably using an Arduino microprocessor board. This way I can automatically start one, or both depending on load and balance runtime.

I hope to make them as quiet as possible with proper ventilation and soundproofing.

In the end I'd like the capability of 1 to 2 hours at 2 to 3 knots on battery. If possible I'd like unlimited (other than by gas storage capacity) range at 3 to 4 knots using the generators .

I considered diesel generator/generators but they seem to cut into my weight allotment too quickly. I also considered going with water cooled generators, but again, they get heavy, and I'd like to remove through hulls wherever possible. I am converting to a composting head so I can get rid of all through hulls in the cabin.

I haven't figured it all out yet, so if I say anything that is obviously wrong or unrealistic, please let me know.



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment