Monday, January 28, 2013

[Electric Boats] Re: New member on the Bay Of Quinte

 

what a beautiful boat!
I would love to see some pictures of the inside.
mike

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "sv_ironmaiden" wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am a new member of this group, thought I'd introduce myself.
> I had been interested in electric propulsion for a while before going to
> the recent boat show in Toronto. After talking to a few diesel companies
> about replacing the Volvo MD11C in my boat, I became even more
> interested...
> My boat is a 27' Vollenhovense Bol. She is a Dutch, 11,000 lb steel,
> gaff rigged double-ender with leeboards.
> Here she is.
> The existing engine works well enough, but I have read enough to know
> repairs are expensive. If anything other than basic maintenance is
> required I will repower.
> Outside of sailing, quite often the wife and I motor around in the
> evening (I live wasterfront, and keep the boat on my dock) for an hour
> or so. Would be amazing to do this without the clatter and stink of a
> diesel beneath us.
> The plan is to install a series hybrid.
> I'm thinking:
> 5 to 10 KW BLDC motor, gear reduction as neededbattery bank 48V?
> 72V?dual remote start generatorsassociated chargers, controllers, etc...
> The MD11C with reverse gear is about 500lbs, so this is how much weight
> I have to replace. The motor resides under the cockpit, totally separate
> from the cabin. I want to keep all generators, batteries in this area.
> My original thinking was to use two Honda eu2000i generators with the
> parallel kit, but they don't have remote start. I have found similar
> small inverter generators with remote so I will have to go with those. I
> had considered using one bigger genny, but like the flexibility and
> redundancy of two smaller. I will make my own control system to start
> and stop the generators as needed, probably using an Arduino
> microprocessor board. This way I can automatically start one, or both
> depending on load and balance runtime.
> I hope to make them as quiet as possible with proper ventilation and
> soundproofing.
> In the end I'd like the capability of 1 to 2 hours at 2 to 3 knots on
> battery. If possible I'd like unlimited (other than by gas storage
> capacity) range at 3 to 4 knots using the generators .
> I considered diesel generator/generators but they seem to cut into my
> weight allotment too quickly. I also considered going with water cooled
> generators, but again, they get heavy, and I'd like to remove through
> hulls wherever possible. I am converting to a composting head so I can
> get rid of all through hulls in the cabin.
> I haven't figured it all out yet, so if I say anything that is obviously
> wrong or unrealistic, please let me know.
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment