Saturday, January 5, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Magnetic Circuits & The Prototype Motors

 

I make a lot of use of 'SPICE' circuit simulation software for my
analogue hardware design work. Without it I could not try various "what
if" design ideas without lots of prototype boards. Class-D (switch
mode) amplifiers, even at the 100W to 400W per channel power range I
work with really need to be prototyped on a 4-layer pcb with a
contiguous ground plane, just as the production unit will use, as there
are many high currents with fast switching edges on the 0V line.
Now these fast switching circuits are affected by all sort of stray
couplings, parasitic capacitances and inductances that means that the
real thing is much more complicated to get working really well, but the
simulation does show me that my design concept is valid. I first
simulate using 'ideal' circuit blocks, then add a few of the more
important parasitics, to check thing are ok before the first prototype
pcb is ordered. You still need the experience to know when the
simulation s/w is useful, and when it can't be trusted!

I have to admit that the finite-element-analysis software I've seen is
all a bit scary to someone who hasn't done this sort of work before.
There does seems to be some FEA s/w specifically for motor design, which
doesn't have a learning curve with such a very steep first bit, but then
again, this s/w isn't free, or even low cost.

On the mechanical side, I envy those with access to the modern
generation of 3D printers. We are still debating whether to purchase
one of these at work. We do have two mechanical design engineers who
are whizz-kids with 3D CAD, so if we get one, I'll see if I can get my
head around how to use it. I am amazed how strong the plastic parts are
that these printers produce. Only a few years ago the parts produced
were very brittle. I'm sure that a 3D printer would be wonderful to
print a 4-blade prop, inside its outer housing, though I guess that the
limit of the printer size would need it to be printed as four identical
quarters, to be glued together to form a prototype.

Chris Morriss.

In message , Roger L
rogerlov@ix.netcom.com> writes
>
>
>Matthew writes:
>"Computer modeling is two edged sword. We are in very real danger of
>turning out engineers who believe the computer model over reality."

>I don't think that the educational system is totally to blame for that.
>Although higher education has been active in promoting their own belief
>that a degree should result in a job. Perhaps that was a mistake and 
>needs to change....except that it's already too late. Due to computer
>literacy the whole world of traditional education has changed. I doubt it will
>be changing back.

>Yes, I am one of the "old style" guys who does it all: the machining,
>welding, working drawings, and assembly as well as initiating the design
>and engineering analysis. As you point out, at one time it wasn't
>considered all that unusual. These additional skills are enjoyable as a
>change of pace, they are neither difficult or time consuming to acquire,
>and are available to everyone. You might just mention in passing to your
>engineering students that the engineering analyst who also has
>mechanical skills won't ever have to worry about finding or losing a job.
>That person will enjoy a world with many more opportunities than
>applicants. And the pay is better, too.

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (32)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment