Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] New Project: I Frances

 

Hi;
 
I am new to this place too, and I do not have a boat yet.
There is an option to use standard 110V AC electric motor with a inverter.
However there would be loss at the conversion of DC to AC.
 
The other option is to get a DC motor. Ebay has a few. To connect
the motor strait to the battery for simplicity.
 
I have built nothing like that yet.
 
Gabe

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Dan <daneltravieso@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Hi there. I'm new to this group and new to the concept of electric propulsion - but what a great idea! I've just bought a 54' 15 ton steel v-hulled narrow boat with a noisy and smokey old Yanmar 8 hp diesel auxiliary yacht engine - it's badly mounted, blocking access to the engine room and the noise and vibration make the interior of the boat uninhabitable during cruising. So the sooner I get rid of that and replace it with a small silent electric motor the better.
I want this boat to run primarily on solar panels but will have a back up generator for extended range and cloud (!)
Any links/suggestions?
The marine electric propulsion motors are prohibitively expensive. Where do you look for cheap or second hand options? (eg. golf carts etc)
What size motor would I need for this weight and hull?
I have many questions but I better stop there for now!
Thanks, Dan.




--
exp30002@gmail.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment